October 15, 2016
Sep 17 - Reh 1
Sep 24 - Reh 2
First half of rehearsal (with brass)
- Read Tchaik Mov 4 with full brass sections for the first time.
- Worked backwards on Mov 4, starting with the Presto, and going back as far as the Molto Vivace (m. 436)
- Started work on Mov 2: harmonic progression at the beginning, main melody (horn, cellos and everybody else).
Second half of rehearsal (no brass)
- Worked on all of Mov 3, including some slow work on the Trio
Oct 1 - Reh 3
What we did:
First half (with brass)
- Read Candide under-tempo.
- Worked first on section based on song "Oh, happy we!" (m. 83).
- Went back to beginning and worked slowly through first half of the piece.
- Read/worked through Tchaikovsky 4th movement, from beginning to m. 436 (it was the first time through for many of the brass players).
- Worked on Mov. 2, sections that involve brass: letter F to 107, 134 to 169, 1 before C to 65.
Second half (no brass)
- Continued work on Mov. 2, sections without (or with very little) brass: Beginning to C, 108 to 134, 66 to F, 170 to end. With this, we covered the entire second movement.
- Worked on introduction in Movement 1.
Oct 8 - Reh 4
SectionalsStrings, Brass and Percussion worked with OSO coaches. Woodwinds worked with me on Candide and Tchaikovsky (trio of mov. 3).
Strings, WW and timp
We worked on movements 1 and 3 of Tchaikovsky.
Tutti (with brass and percussion)
Oct 15 - Reh 5
WW and Brass worked with with OSO coaches.
Strings worked with Mr. Gómez on Tchaikovsky:
- Mov 3: exposition, trio, coda
- Mov 4: slow work from beginning to a little bit after [P]
Strings + WW
Tchaikovsky, Mov 4: 4th movement, slow work backwards from the end back to [R]
Tutti - Candide
Slow work from 207 to the end.
Tutti - Tchaikovsky with J. DeBruyn
Excerpts from movements 1 and 2.
Oct 22 - Reh 6 (Carlos Kalmar)
Percussionists: 9:30am-10:00am with Mr. Roberts / 10:00am-11:30am with Mr. Colin Currie.
Brass: Concert Orchestra 9:30am-10:15am / Symphony Orchestra 10:20am-12:30pm.
Strings and WW: 9:30am-10:45am with Mr. Gómez (brass join at 10:20am)
- slow work: 4th movement: from [O] to [R]
- slow work: trio of mov 3
- detail work: movs 1 and 2
11:00am-12:30pm: tutti with Maestro Carlos Kalmar (Tchaikovsky).
11:30am-12:30pm: percussionists with Concert Orchestra.
Sat, Oct 29 - Retreat, Reh 8
AM: Tchaikovsky Movements 1, 2
PM: Candide, Tchaikovsky mov 4
Sun, Oct 30 - Retreat, Reh 7
AM: Candide, Tchaik 2, 4
Nov 2 - (Wednesday) Reh 9
6:00pm-7:30pm: Woodwinds - detail work: Candide, Tchaik Mov 4
7:30pm-9:00pm: Brass - detail work: Tchaik Mov 4
Nov 5 - Reh 10
Run through each piece/movement, work each movement.
9:30am-10:45am: Brass and perc with CO
- Focus on Mov 3 of Tchaik, and brass-light sections of whole piece.
11:00am-12:30am: Brass and perc with SO
- Run throughs
Nov 9 - (Wednesday) Reh 11, Lewis & Clark
Spot checks based on previous rehearsal
Nov 12 - Dress Rehearsal - recorded
Run-through, spot checks
11:00am-12:30am: Brass and perc with SO (start with Candide)
Nov 13 - Sound check - Concert!!
Part Assignments for Jan 12 Concert
November 14, 2019
MYS S.O. Rehearsal Notes - 9/24/19
September 24, 2019
Rehearsal Plan for 11/16
UPDATE: Rehearsal Order for Concert Weekend (Nov 8-10, 2019)
November 8, 2019
Concerto Competition Winners 2019-2020
November 5, 2019
MYS S.O. Rehearsal Notes - 11/05/19
ruby lou smith